Photo credit: theOOBEÂ (Flickr)
We’ve all seen the constant churning of posts around the blogsphere regarding as and when the jailbreak for the A5 chipset (aka iPhone 4S and iPad 2 devices) would be released – that day has thankfully arrived. Permission is granted for you to carry out a little happy dance before sitting down and carrying out the merry business of carrying out an untethered jailbreak of your cherished device using the Absinthe tool on Mac / Windows or Linux.
For Windows / Mac
- Download theÂ Absinthe tool:Â MacÂ /Â Windows
- Connect your iPad 2 or iPhone 4S via USB
- Click Jailbreak to start the Absinthe jailbreak. (Reports have suggested that the first part of the process and several stages can and will take long periods of time to execute so patience is the key – DO NOT touch your device until it has finished)
- Once the computer based component has completed locate the Absinthe icon on your iPad / iPhone home screen. Tap the icon which will launch the GreenPois0n site before rebooting your device.
- Once your device has rebooted the Absinthe icon will have been replaced with the Cydia icon and you’re ready to open Cydia and start installing apps.
- In terminal typeÂ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pmcenery/ppa
- If any warnings pop up simply accept them and install.
- In terminal typeÂ sudo apt-get update
- Open the Ubuntu software center: search for libimobiledevice then install libimobiledevice-utils. If required, carry out a Â reboot.
- Download and unpack the Linux Absinthe package
- On a x86 machine double click absinthe.x86, alternatively, on a 64-bit machine double click absinthe.x86_64 to run Absinthe
- Make sure your device is powered on and connected to the computer. When Absinthe detects your device, click Jailbreak
- Let Absinthe do it’s thing, like the Mac / Windows counterpart, it may take a while so give it time. Once complete you’ll have an Absinthe icon on your device’s home screen.
- Tap the Absinthe icon on your iPhone 4S / iPad 2 – it’ll visit GreenPois0n and reboot your device before presenting you with a Cydia icon.
You’re done – enjoy!2, 4S, absinthe, cydia, greenpois0n, iPad, iPhone, jailbreak, linux, Mac, untethered, windows