So, you’re all fired up and ready to either enter the world of jailbreaking iOS device for the first time, or maybe are just looking for the most current “How to”? The method weâ€™re about to explain uses redsn0w and works on both the PC and Mac platforms. Please read the details carefully and you’ll be up and running in no time – if there are questions, please fire away in our comments section below.
BEFORE YOU START: If you require a carrier unlock then please read the entire post and heed the warning of how to preserve your deviceâ€™s baseband. There is no going back with baseband upgrades, accidental or otherwise!
If you are running iOS 5 on your iOS device then you should be able to install the latest 5.0.1 firmware using the OTA (Over The Air) update. If you need help with this, see this post here. If you are running an older firmware, i.e. iOS 4.x.x or even iOS 3.x.x then you need to perform a manual update.
Step 1 – Update to iOS 5
- If already running iOS 5.x.x install the OTA update then move on to Step 2. Otherwise, download iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone, iPad or iPod touch (iPad 2 is not currently supported).Â [Direct links at bottom of this post]
- Download redsn0w for your PC / MacÂ [Direct links at bottom of this post]
- Carry out a full backup /sync of your iDevice using iTunes, or if you’re using iCloud make sure your backup is up to date.
- If you rely on a software unlock and need to preserve your baseband, DO NOT update your device using the downloaded firmware. Instead, open redsn0w and create a custom IPSW (RedSn0w > Extras > Custom IPSW)
- Update your device using the IPSW firmware file youâ€™ve just downloaded usingÂ iTunes. (To specify a particular IPSW file, shift click (Windows) or CMD click (Mac) the Restore button in iTunes)
- Open redsn0w
- Plug in your iDevice and power it off
- Click Jailbreak and follow the on-screen instructions which explain how to put a device in DFU mode.Â (In summary, this requires you toÂ hold the â€œPowerâ€ button, then whilst still holding the â€œPowerâ€ button hold the â€œHomeâ€ button before finally releasing the â€œPowerâ€ button whilst still pressing the â€œHomeâ€ button. This sounds more complicated than it is, which is why you are guided through it on-screen).
- Select â€œInstall Cydiaâ€ and click the â€œnextâ€ button.
- Redsn0w will now do everything it needs to automatically. Once the device reboots, youâ€™ll find itâ€™s jailbroken untethered. Unplug and enjoy!
If you arenâ€™t sure what tethered and untethered jailbreaks are, then weâ€™veÂ a simple explanation here.
If you want to know how to jailbreak an AppleTV 2nd Generation, click here
Download links5.0.1, Apple, AppleTV, iPad, iPhone, iPod, jailbreak, pod2g, redsn0w, touch