Photo credit: Marco Wessel (Flickr)
Apple released their latest iOS firmware yesterday which fixed the “location bug” whereby iDevices were tracking and storing user location data. Thankfully the firmware is still vulnerable to i0n1c’s exploit, so jailbreaking the devices in an untethered manner is still possible.
The method we’re about to explain uses redsn0w and works on both the PC and Mac platforms.
BEFORE YOU START: If you require on a carrier unlock then DO NOT proceed since this will permanently update your device’s baseband.
- Download iOS 4.3.3 for iPhone, iPad or iPod touch (iPad 2 is not currently supported). [Direct links at bottom of this post]
- Download redsn0w for your PC / Mac [Direct links at bottom of this post]
- Carry out a full backup /sync of your iDevice using iTunes.
- Update your device using the IPSW firmware file you’ve just downloaded using iTunes 10.2.2
- Open redsn0w and browse to the firmware file you downloaded
- Select “Install Cydia” and click the “next” button.
- Connect your device to your computer then turn it off before clicking “next” again
- Follow the on screen instructions to put your device into DFU mode. (In summary, this requires you toÂ hold the â€œPowerâ€ button, then whilst still holding the “Power” button hold the “Home” button before finally releasing the “Power” button whilst still pressing the “Home” button. This sounds more complicated than it is, which is why you are guided through it on-screen).
- Redsn0w will now do everything it needs to automatically. Once the device reboots, you’ll find it’s jailbroken untethered. Unplug and enjoy!
If you aren’t sure what tethered and untethered jailbreaks are, then we’ve a simple explanation here.
Direct Download Links for redsn0w 0.9.6rc16
Direct Download Links for iOS 4.3.3 / 4.2.8 (These are straight from Apple)
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4, iOS 4.2.8 (Verizon)
- iPhone 3GS
- iPad 2 WiFi
- iPad 2 GSM
- iPad 2 CDMA
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
Update: Links updated and version RC16 of redsn0w added since fixes some vibration issues and battery drain.3GS, 4, Apple, iPad, iPhone, iPod, jailbreak, redsn0w, redsnow, touch, unlock