Photo credit: vmcampos (Flickr)
I decided to take a holiday to France with my family and the day we left I was browsing Twitter in the ferry terminal when, to my delight, I saw a tweet by @pod2g saying he’d finally managed to get the untethered iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak completed. Not long after Absinthe 2.0 became available to download. This is fabulous news and the toolset has already been used in excess of a million times to jailbreak the various iOS devices. Permission is granted for you to carry out a little happy dance before sitting down and carrying out the merry business of carrying out an untethered jailbreak of your cherished device using the Absinthe tool on Mac / Windows or Linux.
iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3 (iPad2,4 is now supported as of Absinthe 2.0.4)
iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S
iPod touch 3rd generation, iPod touch 4th generation
How to jailbreak?
Before we begin…. BACKUP YOUR DEVICE! Done that? Let’s get to it:
For Windows / Mac
- Download the Absinthe tool:Mac - Windows - Linux
- Open the app and connect your iOS device via USB.
- The software will identify what device and iOS version has been connected.
- Click Jailbreak to start the Absinthe jailbreak.
- Sit back and wait whilst the process takes place. Please note, there will be some device reboots and at one point a message on screen telling you that it’s restoring – don’t panic!
- You’ll be told on your computer screen once your device has finished jailbreaking.
- On your iOS device locate the Cydia icon and when you’re ready tap to open Cydia and start installing apps.
- In terminal type sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pmcenery/ppa
- If any warnings pop up simply accept them and install.
- In terminal type sudo apt-get update
- Open the Ubuntu software center: search for libimobiledevice then install libimobiledevice-utils. If required, carry out a reboot.
- Download and unpack the Linux Absinthe package
- On a x86 machine double click absinthe.x86, alternatively, on a 64-bit machine double click absinthe.x86_64 to run Absinthe
- Make sure your device is powered on and connected to the computer. When Absinthe detects your device, click Jailbreak
- Let Absinthe do it’s thing, like the Mac / Windows counterpart. Once complete you’ll have a Cydia icon on your device’s home screen.
If you are already tethered jailbroken on iOS 5.1.1 then you can untether your jailbreak by searching for and installing Rocky Racoon 5.1.1 Untether from Cydia.